- Air Chief Marshal Angus Houston AC AFC (Retired)
- Mr Paris Aristotle AM, Director of the Victorian Foundation for Survivors of Torture Inc (also known as Foundation House)
- Professor Michael L'Estrange AO, Director, National Security College
The Panel will provide advice and recommendations to the Government on policy options available, and in its considered opinion, the efficacy of such options, to prevent asylum seekers risking their lives on dangerous boat journeys to Australia. As part of its review, the panel will take into account, and provide policy advice on:
- how best to prevent asylum seekers risking their lives by travelling to Australia by boat;
- source, transit and destination country aspects of irregular migration;
- relevant international obligations;
- the development of an inter-related set of proposals in support of asylum seeker issues, given Australia’s right to maintain its borders;
- short, medium and long term approaches to assist in the development of an effective and sustainable approach to asylum seekers;
- the legislative requirements for implementation; and
- the order of magnitude of costs of such policy options.
The Panel will consult government and non-government organisations and individuals. It will have access to the information it requires to support its deliberations and finalise its advice.
The Panel will consult with the Multi-Party Reference Group to understand and take into account the views of the Parliament.
The Panel will provide advice to the Prime Minister and Minister for Immigration and Citizenship prior to the start of the next sitting period in August 2012. The Panel’s advice will be released publicly.